In 1509, the house of a certain Giovanni Borezzo was destroyed by a storm; only a statue made of olive wood of the Madonna with Child was saved, which was found intact, on the branches of a hedge. On the same place, as was the custom of that period, a votive pillar was raised to honor the statue. During the construction of the small chapel, the water source used by the masons turned red and manifested some therapeutic benefits. The fountain was then channeled into a basin and the place, protected by a canopy, was called the miraculous “Bath of our Lady”. The miraculous properties of water grew in popularity and became a destination for the sick and the infirm in search of healing.
The people of Polesine consider the image of “Our Lady of the Pilaster” their own ‘Black Madonna’. The current sanctuary, entrusted to the care of the Olivetan Benedictine Monks, was built in 1577-79 and expanded in the 18th century.
VIDEO: (to turn ON – English Subtitle … click Control Panel then Automatic Translation … choose English as Language)