Mary of the Day (July 24, 1796) – Madonna del Campione (Our Lady of the Standard), Todi, Perugia, Umbria, Italy
The image was very revered and carried the strange name “of the Standard” because the standards of weights and measures were kept close by. In 1718 the appellative “Help of Christians” was added to the original name.
Until 1753 the tuderti (people of Todi) adored the original fresco placed in a semicircular niche: the work was however very ruined and faded and this was replaced by a copy on canvas, always representing the Holy Family of Bethlehem.
The devotion to Our Lady of the Standard became even more compelling when the prodigy of the Virgin Mary opening and closing Her eyes happened on July 24, 1796. The prodigy lasted for about twenty days, quoting the words of Bishop Giovanni Lotrecchi; “It is now the 20th days, not considering some intervals, and Mary continues to console the people of Todi, who know not how to be satisfied with seeing and venerating those open amiable lights (of Her eyes)”.
Unfortunately, in 1837 thieves stole the canvas of our Lady along with all the ex-voto given to her by the tuderti (people of Todi) and the many pilgrims who visited Her daily. Later another beautiful copy was made.
In 1890, the image was taken to the Church of S. Bonaventura, which from that moment took the name of the Sanctuary of the Madonna del Campione (Our Lady of the Standard).