Mary of the Day: March 17, 1697 – OUR LADY OF IRELAND in the Cathedral of Győr (Gyer) (Hungary)
During the difficult times of the presecuzione of Oliver Cromwell in Ireland, one of the bishops forced to leave Ireland was Dr. Lynch, Bishop of Clonfert. He travelled about Europe and finally came to Hungary in 1654. He was kindly received by John Pusky, Bishop of Gyer, and eventually became auxiliary bishop of the diocese.
Ten years later Bishop Lynch planned to return to his native land. Almighty God prevented this; during his dying hours he gave to the Bishop of Gyer his only material treasure—the picture of the Madonna of Ireland. Soon after, as a memory of the Irish Bishop, the picture of Our Lady was hung on the wall of the Cathedral at Gyer. Years passed. On the feast of St. Patrick (March 17, 1697), while large numbers of the faithful were present in the Cathedral, an awe-inspiring event took place. From the eyes of the Blessed Virgin in the picture, bloody tears rolled from 6 am to 9 am (3 Hours). Drops of blood fell onto the pictures of the Infant Jesus. As the bleeding continued for three hours, linen towels, which are still retained under glass, at her shrine, were used to wipe the blood from the blood-perspiring face. The bloody spot, though scantily, is still visible on the linen cloth preserved. A chemist professor in the mid-1900s was given permission to chemically examine a particle from the darkest vein removed and the chemical test found that what they were supposed to have was a mixture of real human tears and blood.
Against a dark background, the Madonna looks down at the baby asleep on a little bed, neatly tucked between two sheets and a red brocade spread, with his head on two pillows. His chest and arms are bare. She wears a pinkish gray veil over brown hair and a blue mantle over a terracotta robe. The image depicts Mary crowned as queen and before her, lying on several circular pillows is the Infant, also crowned as the Little King, and covered with royal robes.
In the archives of the Cathedral of Gyer, there is a document written in 1697 on parchment, relating this event. It is signed not only by the clergy and the laity who were present at the Mass, but by the mayor and the councilmen, by the governer, Lutheran and Calvanist preachers, a Rabbi—over one hundred signatures represent eye-witness to the miracle. In 1767, the Weeping Virgin Mary was set in a magnificent baroque altarpiece. In 1874, Pope Pius IX granted a plenary indulgence on the feasts of St. Patrick and the Assumption, before which feast public novenas are held.
In 1913 Archbishop Schrembs of Toledo, visited Gyer in Hungary. He saw the beautiful painting and was deeply moved when told of the wonderful event. He requested a copy for the many Irish Catholics in his diocese who would be happy to learn the history and to possess the picture of Our Lady of Ireland. The copy was placed face to face with the original and then given to Bishop Schrembs. On August 23, 1914, Archbishop Schrembs dedicated the new St. Stephen’s Church in Toledo, Ohio. The Hungarian people had paid about 2/3 of the expenses of the building. The bishop presented the Madonna to this church, saying, “I am convinced that the picture will be treasured in a Hungarian Church just as much as it would be in and Irish one.” Both Hungarians and Irish were thrilled.
http://gyor.egyhazmegye.hu/egyhazmegyenk/tortenet/konnyezo-szuzanya-bucsuja (Information from the Diocese of Gyor)