On June 16, 1892, the day of Corpus Domini, the image was drenched with tears. The following day, June 17, under the eyes of several and authoritative witnesses, the Virgin depicted in the picture moved her eyes; the prodigy continued for ten consecutive years.
Campocavallo is the name of a district district that extends into the valley of the Musone river not far from the municipal city of Osimo. The history of this small village dates back to the late 1800s, although its origins are much older (at least for the name Campocavallo). Except for a rustic church and a tavern, there were no houses near the crossroads, but the plain was dotted with farmhouses.
Each farm had its own poplar rows, in which the vines are cultivated, and near the house are chicken coop, rabbit hutch and pigsty. Geese, ducks, chickens and turkeys coexisted together and, together, they wander through meadows and fields in search of food. Inside the house was the stable and the streams continuously flow. The Musone was a river worthy of all respect.
This state remained until World War II. Today the environment has totally and radically changed: empty farmhouses, plants almost all demolished; too many factories behind the houses. Only by moving towards the river Musone you have a pale idea of the old Campocavallo.
At the end of 1800 it was nothing more than a crossroads between Jesi, Loreto, Castelfidardo and Recanati, equipped with a small church. Don Sorbellini placed in its midst an oleographic image of Our Lady of Sorrows obtained by payment to a traveling merchant.
On June 16, 1892, the day of Corpus Domini, the image sweated tears. The following day, June 17, under the eyes of several and authoritative witnesses, the Virgin depicted in the picture moved her eyes; the prodigy continued for ten consecutive years. Immediately the news of the prodigy caused pilgrims and faithful from all over Italy and also from the rest of Europe to pour into Campocavallo.
The construction of the sanctuary was immediately entrusted by Don Sorbellini to the osimano architect Costantino Costantini in 1892. The foundation stone was laid on December 10, 1892. The work of the actual church took place quickly and ended in 1905. On 21 September 1905 the Sanctuary was consecrated and three days later dedicated to the Madonna.
The coronation of the image took place on 25 September 1932 with a solemn celebration. On the morning of March 30, 1938, when the custodian opened the Sanctuary, he realized that the painting had been stolen. The same was found in the late morning, not far away, torn in its various parts due to the tearing of the precious gems that adorned it.
In 1948 the Order of the Servants of Mary arrived in the Shrine. In the night between 23 and 24 April 1976 a new gang of thieves stole the picture. Also this time it was found torn apart further. In the autumn of 1986, the Servants of Mary left the Shrine to give way to the diocesan clergy represented by Don Paolo Sconocchini. Since 2001 the sanctuary has been guarded by the Franciscans of the Friars Immaculate. From 2005 to 2007, major renovations were carried out. Today the sanctuary dominates the center of the busy hamlet, flanked by the fine bell tower.
The sanctuary is structured in three naves, divided by ten pillars and six columns. The plan is a Latin cross. The figure of Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows dominates the marble aedicule of the apse. In the Sanctuary there are several chapels: the chapel of Saint Vincent Ferrer (with the stained glass windows of St. Rose of Lima, Saint Domenic and Saint Catherine of Siena); the chapel of Saint Anthony of Padua (with the stained glass windows of Saint Francis, Pope Leo XIII and Saint Anthony of Padua) and the chapel of the Crucifix. There are also numerous statues of rare beauty: Our Lady of Sorrows, Saint Anthony Abbot, Saint Anthony of Padua, Saint Joseph, husband of Mary, a beautiful Sacred Heart of Jesus, the statue of Saint Vincent Ferrer and that of Saint Isidore, the farmer. On the top of the dome stands a statue of the Madonna, protected in turn by a second half-sphere.
In Campocavallo, since 1939, the Festa del Covo (a construction of miniature churches or shines made from the ears of wheat and the kind) is celebrated in August. The so-called den, expression of the faith and the peasant culture of the area, is a cart that has a construction made almost entirely of intertwined ears of wheat. It is carried in procession in honor of the Virgin and every year represents a different religious image.
PRAYER to B. V. Addolorata di Campocavallo
O Virgin of Sorrows, who have deigned to lower your holy eyes many times towards your devotees and you have raised them as if to offer their prayers to God, please kindly listen to us, O Mother of Mercy and obtain what we fervently implore …
Defend the Holy Church from all its enemies, protect the Vicar of Jesus Christ and keep the gift of Faith that the world tries to wrest from us in these stormy times. Free the holy souls of Purgatory, especially those who were greatly devoted to your Sorrows and to the Passion of Jesus. Console the afflicted and obtain for us the peace that is the sigh of all hearts, and in peace let kingdom of God expand more and more on this earth. O heart pierced by seven swords, be my consolation. Amen
http://www.santuariocampocavallo.com/; Santuario B.V. Addolorata Campocavallo di Osimo (AN) – tel. 071-7133003