The image was highly revered and bore the strange name “of the Standard” because in those times, the weight and measurement standards were kept right next to the image. In 1718, the name “Help of Christians” was added to the original name.
Up until the year 1753, the people of Todi venerated the original fresco placed in a semi-circular niche: the original fresco was already ruined and discolored and for this reason, later it was decided to replace it with a copy painted on canvas, but likewise representing the Holy Family of Bethlehem.
The devotion to Our Lady of the Standard became even more popular when a prodigy occurred on July 24, 1796. Our Lady was seen opening and closing her eyes on the painting: the prodigy lasted for twenty days
“It has now passed more or less 20 days, and Mary continues to console the people Todi, of whom are not weary to contemplate and venerate those amiable lights from her eyes” (Words of Bishop Giovanni Lotrecchi).
Unfortunately, in 1837 thieves stole the canvas of Our Lady along with all the ex-votes given to her by the people of Todi and the many pilgrims who visited her daily. Another copy was then made later on.
In 1890 the image was taken to the Church of St. Bonaventure, which from that moment assumed the name of the Shrine of Our Lady of the Standard.